ABOUT THE TRIP

CHANGE ACTION TEAM 2010

From September 12-20, 2010, Aeroplan Canada will lead Groupe Aeroplan’s second Change Action Team experience in beautiful British Columbia, Canada.

The 2010 Change Action Team is composed of nine Groupe Aeroplan employees: one employee from Aeroplan Canada, three from Groupe Aeroplan-UK, three from Carlson Marketing, one employee from Air Miles Middle East and one from Nectar Italia.

Working with Offsetters, Groupe Aeroplan’s and Aeroplan Canada’s carbon management partner, the Change Action Team will travel to the Canadian province of British Columbia.

Lead by Alden Hadwen, CSR, Groupe Aeroplan, and a representative from Offsetters, employees will spend a week learning about climate change, carbon emissions, carbon offset projects and how local communities are linked with these projects. The CAT will visit clean technology projects in Vancouver, First Nations communities in Tofino and the resort of Whistler in the Coastal Mountains.


Monday, September 13, 2010

Arrival




So, here I am in Vancouver BC. The BC stands for British Colombia, which calls to mind a delicate tension between damp temperate climate and equatorial delight. In practice, the British part is definitely winning, since we were greeted at the airport by driving rain, which still hasn't stopped. I feel rather at home.

It has been a long day. I took off from Heathrow at 11 o'clock this morning, and landed nine hours later in Vancouver, at midday. Flying close to due west, we've almost kept up with the rotation of the earth, as if lifted 36,000ft into the air and frozen in time and space while some giant hand spun the globe underneath us. It's kind of magical really, but in the tradition of all good fairy tales about magic, there's a price to be paid.

Which brings me neatly to the elephant in the room - in joining this trip to find out more about climate change and carbon offsets, I've had to fly a third of the way around the world. According to Offsetter's online carbon calculator, that means that by the time I land back in London, I will have been responsible for the emission of some 2.5 tonnes of CO2. That's roughly 25% of the average annual emissions for someone living in the UK, generated in less than a day.

Fortunately, Groupe Aeroplan are paying to offset emissions from the flights taken by the Change Action Team as we assemble in Vancouver from the four corners of the world (as they do for all business travel taken by the company), but can it be as easy as that, does a simple payment let us off the hook? Hopefully I'll find an answer to that question over the coming week.

My current thinking is that offsetting is an important part of the solution to climate change, but must ensure that people think more about the choices they make (like flying), not less. Air travel is often singled out as a villain in environmental conversation, and it certainly has a significant and growing impact. It is also one of the few areas for which there aren't such easy substitutes; travelling in the UK, we can catch a train; at home we can insulate or even just wear a jumper; in our shopping we can eat seasonal and local where possible; but to travel to distant parts of the world, it's a plane or nothing. Perhaps flight will be the one CO2 emitting luxury we choose to keep, once we've made the cuts we can everywhere else - there is definitely something special about really being somewhere. Even if it is raining when you arrive.

- Brendan

No comments:

Post a Comment

FUN FACTS ABOUT THE TEAM

Jo-Ann: In 2006, I had my head shaved during the Shave to Save campaign to raise funds for the fight against Breast Cancer.

Laura: I recently achieved my personal goal to visit 30 countries before I turned 30 and celebrated with a visit to Brazil at Carnaval.

Will: I hold a private pilot’s licence and have been flying since I was 16 years old.

Jackie: When I was in high school I won a contest to name a ride at a local amusement park – The Flitting Flume of Festal Frenzy! It was a log water ride. I won a $100 savings bond, six case of Coke and a season pass to Valleyfair. Oh, and let's not forget the coverage in the local newspaper...ha!

Brendan:The Metro (London’s free newspaper) once sent me on a blind date to Paris, along with a film crew who normally worked on documentaries in war-zones.

Marcello: I visited Geogia during Russian air raids, Ukraine after Orange Revolution and I’ve just come back from former war countries in Balkans: Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro. I use my trips as inspiration, writing for newspapers and magazines, I’ve even created a blog: http://www.marcellopeluso.it/. I’ve also published some books…and more are coming! It’s my way to describe the world.

Sanju: My love for animals constantly worries my wife as she isn’t sure what new addition I’ll bring into our home at anytime.

Emma-Lee: I used to work for Bridgeclimb in Sydney. I’ve climbed 1,439 steps to the top of the Sydney harbour bridge over 500 times – that’s 719,500 steps in total! Once I was caught in a freak storm at the top of the bridge with 50 tourists, the winds were over 140Kmph and we were completely exposed to the elements, unable to move until the storm passed.


Majeed:I love to eat - my favourite saying is: “People eat to live, while I live to eat”.