ABOUT THE TRIP

CHANGE ACTION TEAM 2010

From September 12-20, 2010, Aeroplan Canada will lead Groupe Aeroplan’s second Change Action Team experience in beautiful British Columbia, Canada.

The 2010 Change Action Team is composed of nine Groupe Aeroplan employees: one employee from Aeroplan Canada, three from Groupe Aeroplan-UK, three from Carlson Marketing, one employee from Air Miles Middle East and one from Nectar Italia.

Working with Offsetters, Groupe Aeroplan’s and Aeroplan Canada’s carbon management partner, the Change Action Team will travel to the Canadian province of British Columbia.

Lead by Alden Hadwen, CSR, Groupe Aeroplan, and a representative from Offsetters, employees will spend a week learning about climate change, carbon emissions, carbon offset projects and how local communities are linked with these projects. The CAT will visit clean technology projects in Vancouver, First Nations communities in Tofino and the resort of Whistler in the Coastal Mountains.


Sunday, September 19, 2010

Winding down...

Well, it's Sunday afternoon and I am finally taking the time to write a post to tell you what the last 7 days have been like.

I won't write everything in this post because it'll be too long-winded. So I will try and write little snippets from now till next Friday.

During our time in this adventure, we have taken every means of transportation possible: plane, Trans-Link (subway), feet/walking, taxi, bus, feet/running, ferry, sea taxi, feet/climbing, logging bus, feet/dragging and seaplane !! As my co-adventurer Brendan said, all that's left to try is a submarine !!

The sights I have seen were wondrous, spectacular, perplexing, sad, frustrating, empowering and soul-searching.

I have seen a nation - the Hesquiaht Nation - fulfill a 30-year-old dream: to build a proper school for their children.

I have attended the blessing of a sawmill for the Ahousaht Nation. It was amazing to see the pride that these people had in realizing that they would be able to build their own homes with their own resources without having to depend (and wait...) for outside help.

Things that for us would seem maybe trivial or run-of-the-mill are things that these people had to fight long and hard to achieve.

What does that say about us ??

Jo-Ann

(more to follow)

2 comments:

  1. Jo-Ann,

    Thanks for the update, looking forward to more snippets and maybe some insight at Aeroplan Days!

    ReplyDelete

FUN FACTS ABOUT THE TEAM

Jo-Ann: In 2006, I had my head shaved during the Shave to Save campaign to raise funds for the fight against Breast Cancer.

Laura: I recently achieved my personal goal to visit 30 countries before I turned 30 and celebrated with a visit to Brazil at Carnaval.

Will: I hold a private pilot’s licence and have been flying since I was 16 years old.

Jackie: When I was in high school I won a contest to name a ride at a local amusement park – The Flitting Flume of Festal Frenzy! It was a log water ride. I won a $100 savings bond, six case of Coke and a season pass to Valleyfair. Oh, and let's not forget the coverage in the local newspaper...ha!

Brendan:The Metro (London’s free newspaper) once sent me on a blind date to Paris, along with a film crew who normally worked on documentaries in war-zones.

Marcello: I visited Geogia during Russian air raids, Ukraine after Orange Revolution and I’ve just come back from former war countries in Balkans: Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro. I use my trips as inspiration, writing for newspapers and magazines, I’ve even created a blog: http://www.marcellopeluso.it/. I’ve also published some books…and more are coming! It’s my way to describe the world.

Sanju: My love for animals constantly worries my wife as she isn’t sure what new addition I’ll bring into our home at anytime.

Emma-Lee: I used to work for Bridgeclimb in Sydney. I’ve climbed 1,439 steps to the top of the Sydney harbour bridge over 500 times – that’s 719,500 steps in total! Once I was caught in a freak storm at the top of the bridge with 50 tourists, the winds were over 140Kmph and we were completely exposed to the elements, unable to move until the storm passed.


Majeed:I love to eat - my favourite saying is: “People eat to live, while I live to eat”.